Jon Lee is currently starring in Forever Plaid at the St James Studio. His previous credits include Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys (Prince Edward Theatre) and Marius in Les Miserables (Palace and Queen’s Theatre). He is also well known for being an original member of S Club 7. We caught up with Jon and asked him: “If you were stranded on a desert island, which five showtunes could you not live without?”
1. “Who Will Buy” from Oliver!
– This was my very first job when I was 12 and it really cemented that this was what I wanted to be doing as a career. I have so many great memories from this show and still have some amazing friends from this production 22 years ago.
2. “Mame” from Mame
– This is my favourite musical of all time. It’s such a brilliant, funny, touching and hugely entertaining show. I was lucky enough to do a BBC Radio 4 production as a kid playing opposite Julia McKenzie as Mame.
3. “A Heart Full of Love” from Les Miserables
– Another show that has been a big part of my life, from my parents taking me to see it as a child to playing Marius at the Palace and Queens theatres.
4. “Fallen Angel” from Jersey Boys
I’d been a massive fan of The Four Seasons music all my life so it was a real honour to play Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys for three years and get to meet the man himself. It was also the inspiration and title song for my first solo album.
5. “Love is a many Splendored Thing” from Forever Plaid
This is the finale song for my current show which I just love. The harmonies and melodies from this era of music are just beautiful. I’m having a ball being part of the cast and can’t wait to open at the St James Theatre Studio next week.